The ability to successfully navigate the Web, use common office software with proficiency – even exchange e-mail – opens amazing doors to the world for people with disabilities.
Conducting banking online, for example, frees low-vision and blind persons from relying on an assistant or caregiver to manage those tasks. Those unable to drive – or easily get around – gain greater independence by shopping and voting on the Web. Mastering these skills and other assistive technologies can open new job opportunities for disabled adults, and enrich their lives with access to online newspapers, magazines and books. Children who learn assistive technology transition more smoothly to mainstream school programs.
EmpowerTech offers several model programs for special-needs children, and blind and low-vision, disabled and older adults. To learn more, visit the links below:
Blind/Low-Vision Services (Training for adults who need additional skills to pursue employment, or return to school)
TRADE (For disabled adults looking to increase their employability by learning touch typing, the Internet and Microsoft software applications)
Programs for Older Adults (For seniors who want to learn the Internet and e-mail, and conduct personal business online)
Assistive Technology Exploration (For children and adults looking to discover assistive technologies most beneficial to their needs)
Assistive Technology Assessment (Evaluation of a student's ability to use specific assistive technology devices and software)
School Programs (In-classroom assistive technology training for preschool, elementary and high school students)
- The T.R.A.D.E. AM class is from 9AM to 12PM. Break is 10:20 to 10:40. Monday-Friday, but we’re closed every 1st Friday of each month.
- The T.R.A.D.E. PM class is from 1:30 to 3:30. However, we allow students to enter the computer lab at 1 for half an hour of free range computer use. Break is from 2:25 to 2:45. Monday-Thursday.
- Open Access starts at 3:30 and ends at 6PM on Wednesdays
- Open Access for Seniors starts at 3:30 and ends at 6PM on Thursdays
- Blind/Low Vision class begins at 9AM and ends depending on pre-set arrangements with the instructor